News ⚡ — Friday, June 14
MAEKAN’s Christopher Lim presents photos from Hong Kong’s Anti-Extradition Protests. The legal implications of Caroline Herrera’s appropriative fashion design on Mexican culture. Self-driving cars are still a few years away from being common.
1. 📷 Photos of the Hong Kong protests from MAEKAN’s Christopher Lim
Christopher Lim presents a series of photos taken from Hong Kong’s anti-extradition protests. Witnessed.
2. 👨⚖️ The legal implications of “cultural appropriation” claims aimed at Carolina Herrera.
The Mexican government has a lodged a complaint against the brand for its use of indigenous patterns and textiles in its Resort 2000 collection. Complex.
3. 🤖 The ideal self-driving car is shaped like a cone
Chris Urmson, who helped pioneer the technology at Google before founding Aurora, says it could be 50 years before we see them everywhere. Patience.
4. 🚫 Hong Kong photojournalists protest excessive force during press conference
Photographers and other journalists say police used excessive force against the press while using tear gas and rubber bullets in clashes between police and protesters on June 12th. Actions.
5. 👟 Nike Sportswear N. 354, THE10TH and DIMSIX Footwear
The three new footwear lines celebrate Nike Sportswear’s legacy in experimentation, utilitarian problem-solving, and vanguard style, respectively. Whoa.
6. 😷 Indigenous people in Indonesia say that processed “city” foods leave them hungry, skinny, dry, and gray.
Their traditional staples have since been replaced by processed food such as instant noodles and biscuits. Nourishment.
7. 💨 People often get sleepy (and dumber) in lecture halls and conference rooms because of CO2 levels
An astronomer took a carbon dioxide monitor to an academic conference where 100 people were crammed into a stuffy lecture hall and results tell a tale of declining air quality. 1,000ppm.
8. 📆 Calendar influencers? Event social network IRL raises $8M
The app helps to make and discuss plans with friends or discover nearby happenings to fill out your schedule and lets people follow your events. Raincheck.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.
v8 (current): Added an intro paragraph, not that it needed it but it makes it easier for us to share quickly to social media (which we were slacking on). Added an OptaJoe-inspired one-word conclusion. Inspired.
v7: <h2> gone, that was real quick (one flash). We’re testing <strong> instead for headlines
v6: Highlighted the titles as <h2> headers. Not sure we like it…
v5: Changed the order of the update entries (recent to oldest). A photo now accompanies the News ⚡ as prior there were issues with not having an image preview on social media.
v4: Went from 5 links to somewhere under 10.
v3: changed the URL slug from the emoji to flash.
v2: added a short one-liner to add a bit more context.
v1: numbered list, with emojis and a headline. Decided on five links for brevity and focus.