News ⚡ — Thursday, September 5
Thebe Magugu takes home the 2019 LVMH Prize. The Met hires curator of Indigenous Art. Google fined for violating children’s privacy on YouTube.
1. 💯 South African designer Thebe Magugu takes home the 2019 LVMH Prize
Magugu will take home the 300,000-euro grant and will receive a one-year mentoring program from a dedicated LVMH team.
2. 🏛️ The Met hiring curator of Indigenous Art for its American Wing
The museum’s vast collection of indigenous American artifacts includes the Charles and Valerie Diker Collection of more than 116 objects hailing from 50 different Native American cultures, from the 2nd century to the early 20th century. Despite its significant holdings, Native American art and artifacts have historically been something of an afterthought for the Met until now.
3. 👍 Google fined $170m for violating children’s privacy on YouTube
The tech giant ‘knowingly and illegally monitored, tracked, and served targeted ads to young children’, says US attorney general
4. 📉 American Eagle shares slump after sluggish sales renew apparel pessimism
Same-store sales at the retailer rose only 2 percent, falling short of analyst expectations and sending shares down as much as 14 percent in New York
5. 📈 Wall Street rises on strong Chinese data, easing geopolitical concerns
Wall Street’s main indexes rebounded on Wednesday, after robust economic data from China, easing tensions in Hong Kong and British lawmakers’ approval of a law to delay Brexit provided relief to investors worried about global growth.
6. 🛰️ Internet-from-space provider OneWeb says it will provide coverage to the Arctic by 2020
The aerospace company plans to use its planned mega-constellation of satellites to provide high-speed internet to homes, boats, and planes all located above the 60th parallel north latitude.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.