News ⚡ — Friday, September 6
USB 4.0 specifications unveiled. Spotify’s Premium Duo plan expands to 14 Latin American countries. Another ‘deep fake’ app raises privacy concerns.
1. 🔌 USB4 gets official with maximum 40Gb/s bandwidth, USB Type-C connection
The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has published the specifications for USB4, the next-generation USB architecture first teased back in March 2019. It will be based on Intel Corporation’s Thunderbolt protocol specification and will double ’the maximum aggregate bandwidth of USB and enables multiple simultaneous data and display protocols,’ according to the announcement. No more bottlenecks transfering files.
2. 📱 Spotify’s Premium Duo plan expands to 14 Latin American countries
The catch is that in order to take advantage of the discounted Premium Duo, you and the person sharing the subscription must live under the same roof. Spotify continues to explore strategies to grow its base in emerging markets.
3. 🎭 A ‘deep fake’ app will make us film stars – but will we regret our narcissism?
Users of the Chinese-made Zao app can now add themselves into the scenes of their favourite movies.
4. ⚽ Vincent Kompany calls for more diversity among football institutions to tackle racism
Romelu Lukaku, a former team-mate of Kompany’s for Belgium, was subjected to monkey chants by Cagliari supporters as he prepared to take a penalty for his new club Inter Milan. Even in 2019, racism continues to paint football in a bad light.
5. 📸 Remembering Peter Lindbergh
Lindbergh, who died on Tuesday, was the most cinematic photographer of fashion’s Golden Age, writes Tim Blanks.
6. 🚬 Michigan becomes the first state to ban the sale of flavored e-cigs
Governor Gretchen Whitmer said the measure is meant to help curb the use of the products by youth—and one that comes as teen vaping continues to skyrocket.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.