News ⚡ — Tuesday, August 20
Jay-Z’s NFL deal gets a response from Colin Kaepernick. Heat to be the real challenge at Tokyo’s Olympic test events. A$AP Rocky would’ve been owned millions if found not guilty.
1. 🏈 The backlash to Jay-Z’s NFL deal is just beginning
Add to that the rumors that Jay will soon become the owner of an NFL team, and that was more than enough for players—and Kaepernick—to finally chime in.
2. 🌡️ The real hurdle at Tokyo’s Olympic test events: the heat
Officials found the Heat Stress Indicator, which takes temperature, humidity, wind speed, sun angle and cloud cover into account, would move to a level considered dangerous by the end of the women’s triathlon. So the committee decided to cut the run segment in half, from 10 kilometers to 5 kilometers.
3. 👀 If A$AP Rocky hadn’t been found guilty, Sweden could have owed him millions
Instead, aside from the month he spent in detention in Stockholm, he was given two years’ probation and a fine of 12,500 Swedish kronor (approximately $1,300) to split with the two associates who were also convicted.
4. 🗺️ Google launches ‘Live View’ AR walking directions for Google Maps
Google is launching a beta of its augmented reality walking directions feature for Google Maps, with a broader launch that will be available to all iOS and Android devices that have system-level support for AR.
5. 👵 The elderly are the next big growth market for Chinese tech firms
Tech companies want to lure more of the 18% of the population and earn their share of the $1 trillion dollars Chinese seniors are expected to spend on consumer goods in 2020.
6. 📉 The world’s biggest economies are facing a synchronized global slump
The same signs that are pointing to a coming U.S. recession have preceded each one over the last 70 years.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.