News ⚡ — Wednesday, July 10
Inside Kanye’s billion-dollar empire. How a memo at FIFA created a diversity movement at EA games. BMW takes on competitors with an electric Mini Cooper.
1. 📈 Kanye’s Second Coming: Inside The Billion-Dollar Yeezy Empire
Forbes gives a comprehensive look back on his road to success starting with music and leading back to his most profitable venture, sneakers. Insight.
2. ⚽ How female characters in FIFA led to a diversity movement at EA
In 2017, game designer Katie Scott shared a memo about FIFA’s diversity with eight colleagues and bosses. It reached the highest levels of the company, and it spurred changes across all of EA’s games. Ripples.
3. 🚙 BMW takes on VW and Tesla with $36,400 electric Mini Cooper
The battery Mini is BMW’s second all-electric car after the i3 city car, sales of which have been disappointing since its 2013 debut. Competition.
4. 🏍 Akira director Katsuhiro Otomo announces sequel TV series and new film
He announced his Akira sequel anime series and Orbital Era, his third anime feature film, at this year’s Anime Expo in L.A. Projects.
5. 😠 White man followed a black teen into a store and cut his throat because his rap music made him feel “unsafe”
Michael Adams, released from prison two days earlier, killed 17-year-old Elijah Al-Amin after he had finished a late shift at his summer job. Senseless.
6. 💻 Apple significantly lowers Mac SSD upgrade pricing, 1 TB MacBook Air now available
Apple’s SSD price drops are comprehensive, applying to Apple’s notebooks and desktops. The general pattern is that the first upgrade still costs the same, with price reductions applied to the bigger capacities. Options.
7. 🤝 Jay-Z named chief brand strategist for cannabis consumer products company Caliva
In this position, Jay-Z will focus on and work to increase the economic participation of citizens returning from incarceration—many of who are not seeing the monetary benefits of legalization—through advocacy, job training, and overall employee and workforce development. Mobilization.
8. 🚫 Google Chrome’s built-in ad blocker rolls out globally today—and there’s a new one in the works
Chrome has begun filtering ads on sites globally that repeatedly violate industry standards and continue to show intrusive, annoying ads to people that visit their websites. Improvements.
9. 🌼 The Art of Bloom is Long Beach’s first immersive pop-up exhibit
The pop-up focuses on the special relationship between humans and nature and uses real flowers, light, and AR interactions that blend both the physical and digital. Amazing.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.
v8 (current): Added an intro paragraph, not that it needed it but it makes it easier for us to share quickly to social media (which we were slacking on). Added an OptaJoe-inspired one-word conclusion. Inspired.
v7: <h2> gone, that was real quick (one flash). We’re testing <strong> instead for headlines
v6: Highlighted the titles as <h2> headers. Not sure we like it…
v5: Changed the order of the update entries (recent to oldest). A photo now accompanies the News ⚡ as prior there were issues with not having an image preview on social media.
v4: Went from 5 links to somewhere under 10.
v3: changed the URL slug from the emoji to flash.
v2: added a short one-liner to add a bit more context.
v1: numbered list, with emojis and a headline. Decided on five links for brevity and focus.