News ⚡ — Friday, May 10
Nike releases a big women’s video spot just as a former athlete comes out over her experiences with unpaid maternity leave. What contributed to Uber’s lackluster IPO? Biomaterials are picking up steam for their sustainability and ability to remove CO2 from the air. Hollywood and the state of Georgia go to battle.
1. ? Uber suffered one of the worst IPOs in history
Many factors both within and outside of their control contributed to the event when it went public. But beyond market conditions, the company itself is hardly instilling confidence in investors. Shrug.
2. ? French label Pigalle partner with EA Sports’ NBA LIVE
As the name suggests, the Paris brand is based in Pigalle and their colorful court and upcoming collection make an appearance in the game. Digitized.
3. ?♀️ Nike releases a new ad supporting women athletes just as an op-ed blasts them on withholding pay for those on maternity leave
The new ad features women of all sporting genres celebrating sport. However, former Nike athlete, United States national champion Alysia Montaño shares are experiences between competing and motherhood. Contradiction.
4. ? Biomaterials continue to ramp up in the form of algae curtains, algae raincoats, and mushroom caskets
The implications of biomaterials range far and wide from sustainable material production to the ability to remove CO2 from the air (with the curtains). Future.
5. ? Hollywood and the state of Georgia are about to go to battle over a new controversial abortion bill
Georgia’s recently signed bill makes abortion illegal once a fetuses’ heartbeat has been dedicated. The likes of Jordan Peele and JJ Abram are donating proceeds to fight the law. Contention.
6. ? Can sustainability and profits work in tandem in fashion (and other industries)?
The debate rages on regarding our ability to balance the two critical outcomes. Uncertainty.
7. ? Fujifilm announces 30% price hikes for analog film
This yet another blow for film enthusiasts as there have been regular and sharp pricing increases. The move is set to take place on June 1. Robbery.
v8 (current): Added an intro paragraph, not that it needed it but it makes it easier for us to share quickly to social media (which we were slacking on). Added an OptaJoe-inspired one-word conclusion. Inspired.
v7: <h2> gone, that was real quick (one flash). We’re testing <strong> instead for headlines
v6: Highlighted the titles as <h2> headers. Not sure we like it…
v5: Changed the order of the update entries (recent to oldest). A photo now accompanies the News ⚡ as prior there were issues with not having an image preview on social media.
v4: Went from 5 links to somewhere under 10.
v3: changed the URL slug from the emoji to flash.
v2: added a short one-liner to add a bit more context.
v1: numbered list, with emojis and a headline. Decided on five links for brevity and focus.