News ⚡ — Thursday, April 11
We’ll continue to tweak the News ⚡ and see where we land. We elected to find a home for some of the short bits of news that are relevant to today but may not fit into a bigger piece of analysis or represent an evergreen read.
1. ⚫ Scientists managed to take an image of a black hole.
To be fair, the blurry image could be anything but it’s a landmark moment in science.
2. 📜 Monotype redesigned Helvetica.
Maybe you’ve heard of Helvetica? /s This is the first time in 35 years the iconic font has been updated.
3. 🔵 Dark blue is considered to be the most calming color.
A survey of 26,000 people chose it to have which can be seen in The World’s Favourite Colour Project by G.F Smith. Editor’s note: yes this blue isn’t dark blue, it was the closest emoji available.
4. ⛏️ YouTube is exploring its own “choose-your-own-adventure” series.
This is all part of Youtube’s strategy modification towards in original content. There was a suggested move towards scaling back original content in 2020.
5. ✍️ You can now edit Google productivity tools directly in Dropbox.
That means creative’s can combine their favorite storage service with the convenience of Google’s robust G Suite.
6. 🚄 “Flygskam” is a new Swedish word for those guilty over the environmental effects of traveling.
This feeling has more and more Swedes electing to travel by train.
7. 🧠 Running an electrical current through your brain boosts working memory in older adults.
All it takes is 25 minutes to potentially reverse the decline brought on by aging.
See all our recent News ⚡ updates here.
v5 (current): Changed the order of the update entries (recent to oldest). A photo now accompanies the News ⚡ as prior there were issues with not having an image preview on social media.
v4: Went from 5 links to somewhere under 10.
v3: changed the URL slug from the emoji to flash.
v2: added a short one-liner to add a bit more context.
v1: numbered list, with emojis and a headline. Decided on five links for brevity and focus.